The state of hypnosis is actually an ordinary human experience – It is like just before falling asleep, getting lost in thought, music or even a movie.
The most important factor to take into consideration is that as humans – we are all different. We have different styles of learning, experiencing and perceiving the world around us. I am of the belief that how we process mentally can in fact affect the type of hypnosis we should receive. We can be Visual, Auditory, Reading/Writing or Kinesthetic – some of us can even have combinations of these – this is called Multimodal.
Before you read on and would like to know your learning/communication style – here’s a link to an online questionnaire that I found. I knew my style before doing the questionnaire, and the result I received was correct.
There are other factors that can determine the successful hypnosis of a client – for instance taking a client into hypnosis using an Elevator (Lift) script and they have a phobia associated with lifts would not be a good idea at all. It is therefore imperative that your Hypnotherapist tailors your therapy to your specific needs as opposed to using the same induction script with every single client.
I personally feel that if you can daydream, you can be hypnotised. Whether you WANT to however is another aspect that we should consider here.
There are a number of reasons why someone would struggle to be put under hypnosis – here are a few examples:
- Skepticism – It is difficult to go into a hypnotic state if you feel uncomfortable with the process;
- Discomfort, anxiety or nerves could get in the way;
- Overly Analytical – you overanalyse to the point where you just cannot shut down your conscious mind
The good news is that there are different relaxation techniques that can help with the last two points. And any good therapist would take the time to put you at ease and help you find your Zen.
So, to answer the initial question – pretty much everyone can be hypnotised, some may take a little longer to reach a deep hypnotic trance. Don’t be discouraged by this – working with a qualified and caring Hypnotherapist can help you achieve all the great benefits you deserve.
- Your Hypnotherapist is your guide, for any lasting change you need to feel empowered and in control of your own situation;
- Change is not always instant, work is required outside of therapy that only you can do, so;
- Be the change you want to see!